The East Oakland Collective has been honored to be presented with:
- In the News. Homeless Services & Solutions. Oakland 'Tent Drive' for three dozen unsheltered people soon to lose makeshift homes. [FOX KTVU, 8/29/29]
- In the News. Homeless Services & Solutions. East Oakland Homeless Encampment To Get Reprieve. [CBS SF Bay Area, 8/26/19]
- Media. Homeless Services & Solutions. Proposal to Convert Former Oakland Jail into Homeless Shelter Faces Push Back. [KCBS Radio, 8/2/19]
- In the News. Homeless Services & Solutions. Oakland surpasses other large California cities in per capita homelessness. [San Francisco Chronicle, 8/1/19]
- In the News. Homeless Services & Solutions. Oakland landlord tries, fails to pay homeless to leave encampment. [The Mercury News, 7/12/19]
- In the News. Homeless Services & Solutions. Oakland Landlord Stages Anti-Homeless Protest at Home Depot. [NBC Bay Area, 7/12/19]
- In the News. Civic Engagement & Leadership. SPUR Talk: Equity, Outreach, and the Oakland Bike Plan. [Streetsblog, 6/13/19]
- In the News. Civic Engagement & Leadership. On the 1-Year Anniversary of BBQ Becky, Oakland’s 510 Day Proves There’s Still Plenty of Work to Be Done. [The Root, 5/13/19]
- In the News. Economic Empowerment. How a Trump program could spur a new wave of Bay Area development. [The Mercury News, 4/22/19]
- In the News. Homeless Services & Solutions. How much would it cost to house the Bay Area’s homeless? Try $12.7 billion. [The Mercury News, 4/10/19]
- In the News. Homeless Services & Solutions. Oakland To Invest Millions In ‘Tuff Shed’ Program To Help House Homeless. [CBS San Francisco, 4/4/19]
- In the News. Civic Engagement & Leadership. Oakland paving plan to focus on local streets. [East Bay Times, 4/2/19]
- In the News. Civic Engagement & Leadership. Lyft pledges $700,000 to improve transport in East Oakland. [ITS International, 2/19/19]
- In the News. Civic Engagement & Leadership. Oakland Mayor Schaaf, Lyft, TransForm Announce Transportation Partnership. [Oakland News Now, 2/11/19]
- In the News. Civic Engagement & Leadership. Lyft, Mayor Schaaf pledge bikes and transit discounts for ‘underserved’ Oaklanders. [Curbed, 2/11/19]
- In the News. Civic Engagement & Leadership. Lyft donates $700,000 to bring bikes, free rides to East Oakland residents. [The Mercury News, 2/11/19]
- In the News. Homeless Services & Solutions. 7 Resolutions That Will Actually Make a Difference This Year. [The Bold Italic, 12/27/18]
- In the News. Homeless Services & Solutions. The Year Homeless People Fought Back. [East Bay Express, 12/19/18]
- In the News. Civic Engagement & Leadership. Year in Review 2018: Whose Resilient Future?. [Metropolis Magazine, 12/19/18]
- In the News. Homeless Services & Solutions. Lead By Example: Women of Color led curbside community delays OPD eviction. [Medium, 11/10/18]
- Press Release. Homeless Services & Solutions. Curbside Community Led By Unhoused Women of Color Refuses to Move, Despite Oakland’s Mayor Threats to Evict. [11/9/18]
- In the News. Homeless Services & Solutions. EOC members Synitta and Nick talk on KPFA’s Full Circle about the reclaimed public land in Deep East Oakland, home of the new Housing and Dignity Village, a women of color led curbside community and resource center for the unhoused and housed. Listen - https://kpfaapprent.wordpress.com/
- In the News. Homeless Services & Solutions. Report: Oakland Can House 2,000 Homeless People in 6 Months “If Political Will Exists” [Oakland Post, 11/2/18]
- Report. Homeless Services & Solutions. Led by The Village, The East Oakland Collective, and the Dellums Institute for Social Justice/Just Cities, the Housing and Dignity Project worked for almost a year to develop a community-based plan to house all of Oakland's unhoused residents: Housing Oakland's Unhoused. The plan is based upon listening sessions with unhoused residents, builds upon a human-rights best practice example implemented by The Village, and policy analysis conducted by UC Berkeley Goldman School of Public Policy's Rawan Elhalaby and Dr. Dan Lindheim. See here for Rawan's Advanced Policy Analysis.
- In the News. Homeless Services & Solutions. UN report singles out homeless conditions in Oakland, San Francisco as 'cruel and inhumane.' [KTVU, 10/30/18]
- In the News. Homeless Services & Solutions. Abandoned or lost? Oaklanders living in cars have homes towed away. [Oakland North, 10/26/18]
- In the News. Homeless Services & Solutions. Oakland activists protest ‘cruel and inhuman’ treatment of homeless after scathing UN report [Mercury News, 10/23/18]
- Press Release. Homeless Services & Solutions. Bay Area Curbside Communities Respond to UN Special Report On Homelessness Naming Oakland, SF As Human Rights Violators. [10/20/18]
- In the News. Environmental Justice and Economic Empowerment. In Poor Neighborhoods, Add Rising Seas to List of Housing Woes. [KQED Science, 10/3/18]
- Media. In Season II, Episode II of the GhettoSun Times, host Roger Porter talks with Candice Elder and Nick Houston of The East Oakland Collective about gentrification, homicides in Deep East Oakland, and the struggles that come with making sure the movement serves the people and not anyone’s political agenda. [KGPC, 9/30/18]
- In the News. Homeless Services & Solutions. "Oakland Wants to Tax Vacant Properties to Help Ease Homelessness." [KQED, 9/1/18]
- In the News. Homeless Services & Solutions. Woman overcomes homelessness thanks to help of local organization [Fox 51, 3/14/18]
- Media. Extraordinary Women Making History: Candice Elder, the Community Leader Focusing on the Global Issue of Homelessness in Her Corner of the World [The Extraordinary Negroes, 3/7/18]
- Environmental Justice and Economic Empowerment. Marquita Price, Urban and Regional Planning Officer, interviewed in Oakland Damon Slough: Communities Confront Water and Gentrification in the Coliseum Zone [Acclimate West, 2/5/18]
- Cultivate resident leadership, community engagement and town halls for Healthy Havenscourt's Resident Leadership Training.
- Nick Houston, Community Engagement Officer and Candice Elder, Founder & Director, to serve on City of Oakland Transportation Department's Oakland Bike Plan Community Advisory Group.
- EOC to conduct community outreach and engagement in Deep East Oakland on City of Oakland Bike Plan Update with TransForm and City of Oakland Transportation Department.
- Civic Engagement & Leadership. Amir Abdul-Shakur, Chair of EOC's Civic Engagement & Leadership Committee, joined our friends at the Sugar Freedom Project, Oakland Food Policy Council and Roots Community Health Clinic on KPFA's Full Circle podcast to discuss being on the frontlines of Oakland’s new soda tax, making sure that it addresses the epidemic of diabetes and other health impacts from too much sugar in our diets, and the racial dimension of this issue. Take a listen.
- EOC participates in 2nd Annual NBA All-Star Baron Davis & Black Santa Visit Oakland and Community Toy Drive with Marshawn Lynch and Beast Mode Apparel.
- Feed the Hood 3. Third feed the hood event where 200+ community members prepared 2,000+ bagged lunches and 1,000+ hygiene kits to distribute to the unsheltered across Oakland and even Berkeley and San Francisco.
- Launched East Oakland SuSu Lending Circle Program, a microSolution of self-help which utilizes group economics, collective saving, and pooling resources.
- Civic Engagement & Leadership. Advocated and organized for a community benefits agreement that would include affordable housing, living wage jobs and more in the massive Oak Knoll Development Project in District 7, East Oakland hills. 94.1 KPFA Upfront's Friday host Salima Hamirani speaks with The East Oakland Collective (94.1 KPFA Upfront, 11/10/17).
- Initiative on Homelessness. EOC members trained by Alameda County Health Care for the Homeless Program on how to use and distribute opiate prevention overdose kits to homeless population in deep East Oakland.
- Partnerships. Entered into partnership with Communities In Collaboration, EBALDC and Healthy Havenscourt for Havenscourt (East Oakland) Resident Leadership Training.
- Civic Engagement & Leadership / Collaborations. EOC members facilitate City of Oakland Cultural Affairs Department's "Make It Yours - Oakland Cultural Community Dialogue" at East Oakland Boxing Association.
- Founder and Director Candice Elder recognized as a Trailblazer by the In the Spirits Awards.
- Initiative on Homelessness. Volunteers distribute respiratory masks to the homeless in Oakland (Oakland North, 10/17/17).
- In the News. Oakland Approves 'Safe Havens' for Homeless Camps and Services (East Bay Express, 10/4/17).
- Awarded Best Baby Zone: Castlemont Community Innovation Award-- funds for community based projects to promote health equity supporting Castlemont neighborhood, East Oakland.
- Awarded grant from The Pollination Project to engage youth in Take Back Our Streets coalition and campaign.
- Civic Engagement & Leadership / Economic Empowerment. EOC joins the Sugar Freedom Project planning committee to analyze and implement a plan for Deep East Oakland to address food access and the correlation of health issues stemming from the consumption of sugary beverages.
- Feed the Hood 2. Second feed the hood event where 250+ community members prepared 1,600+ bagged lunches and 1,600+ hygiene kits to distribute to the unsheltered across Oakland.
- Participated in East Oakland Congress of Neighborhoods' 1st Annual East Oakland Community Assembly.
- Membership officially launched! EOC has grown to over 50 dedicated and awesome members.
- Environmental Justice / Economic Empowerment. East Oakland Community Pushes to Turn Eyesore Into Asset (NBC Bay Area, 4/10/17)
- Environmental Justice. EOC joins planning committee for San Leandro Creek Urban Greenway Plan to ensure community engagement and equity of Deep East Oakland residents and communities in access, jobs and design of the portion of the Creek that runs through Deep East Oakland.
- Launched quarterly Deep East Oakland Community Town Halls in partnership with East Oakland Boxing Association.
- Civic Engagement & Leadership. Drive to increase district, age and racial diversity on Oakland boards and commissions. Oakland Needs Board and Commission Members (Medium, City of Oakland, 2/10/17) .
- In the News. Aqueila Lewis talks with Candice Elder, Laksmi Lagares and Maliha James of the East Oakland Collective (Womens Magazine, 94.1 KPFA, 2/13/17).
- [January] Workforce readiness workshop. Held first workforce and skills development workshop for formerly incarcerated, low-income and communities of color facing barriers to the workforce.
- Deep East Oakland Listening Session. Oakland Voices: Young activists in East Oakland bring new energy, tech savvy to address environmental, housing issues (East Bay Times, 12/26/16)
- Founder and Director Candice Elder awarded 2016 Community Leader Award, Black Elected Officials and Faith Based Leaders of the East Bay.
- In the News. Marshawn Lynch, Baron Davis, Too Short Host Black Santa in Oakland (NBC Bay Area, 12/22/16)
- Awarded grant from Akonadi Foundation - So Love Can Win Fund.
- Civic Engagement & Leadership. In partnership with Organizing for Power, Black Women Organized for Political Action (BWOPA) and Oakland Votes, we hosted forums and created campaigns to engage and educate Oakland residents on candidate races, local measures and state propositions that would have significant impact on communities of color.
- Founder and Director Candice Elder is a 2016 finalist for the Black Women Organized for Political Action (BWOPA) Top 6 Under 40 HerStory Empowers Award.
- Awarded All In Alameda County Community Listening Session grant. Submitted a report to Alameda County Board of Supervisors on recommendations for change in East Oakland.
- Feed the Hood. Held the first feed the hood event where 30 community members prepared 500+ bagged lunches and hygiene kits to distribute to the unsheltered across Oakland.
- Beautification projects and illegal dumping. Partnered on many beautification projects in East Oakland that included park cleanup and restoration; neighborhood cleanups.
Members in the News
New EOC member Mitzi Lewis tells her story of going from living in a Deep East Oakland homeless encampment to self-determination in her new home. [KTVU 2 News. March 6, 2018]
EOC member Amir Abdul-Shakur and his beautiful family were 1 of 6 families chosen to be featured in a 2-Hr PBS documentary entitled "THE TALK: Race in America" by Emmy award winning director Sam Pollard. THE TALK is a two-hour documentary about the increasingly necessary conversation taking place in homes and communities across the country between parents of color and their children, especially their sons, about how to behave if ever stopped by the police. [PBS. "The Talk," aired February 20, 2017.]